mardi 18 juillet 2017

Dry Salsa Is the Spicy Condiment You'll Want to Put on Everything

Wandering the food stalls on a warm Summer day at Smorgasburg in Los Angeles, I couldn't help but notice a booth selling something called "dry salsa." Intrigued, I wandered over to check out their samplings and was a little apprehensive of the dark red chili mixture that I saw - it looked hot enough to burn any sane person's tongue.

I asked Giovanna Rebagliati, the owner and creator of Salacious Dry Salsa about the history of this condiment. "It was inspired by the traditional salsa de semillas," which roughly translates to a salsa of seeds, "from the Michoacán region of Mexico," Giovanna said. According to her, it's not very well known, even in Mexico. Typically, a dry salsa is a mixture of dried chilies, various seeds and nuts, other seasonings, and a touch of oil to hold it all together. Giovanna has put her own twist on it with flavors like lime, and her online store is coming soon.

I figured if it were that hot that it would come with a warning instead of a big scoop on a tortilla chip. Upon my first inspection, it didn't smell as spicy as it looked, and I was promised that what I had in my hand was "mild," so I took a bite. It was crispy, crunchy, not too spicy, and full of a flavorful mix of spices; this thing called dry salsa actually delivered on what it promised! I immediately started imagining the endless cooking possibilities for a sauceless salsa that packed the crunch of dry roasted tortilla chips in every bite. Dry salsa avocado toast, anyone?

Personally, I could easily see this becoming the next mainstream trend like Trader Joe's everything bagel seasoning. I know I'd eat it on everything!



0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire